PATIENT INSTRUCTION FOR SPINAL ORTHOSIS
You have been fitted with a highly supportive back brace. It is designed to restrict specific motions. Proper use and wear are required to obtain desired function. Frequent follow-up is required to maintain desired function. This device cannot provide absolute protection against additional injury.
The following suggestions will help maximize brace comfort and function.
- Wear brace as directed by physician.
- Brace should be applied before getting out of bed unless instructed otherwise
- Weight changes will affect brace fit. Call office to schedule a brace
- Always wear an under-shirt or similar garment to help protect the skin. Change this shirt daily or more frequently if perspiration is a problem.
- Keep brace clean by wiping with a damp sponge.
- Spinal braces are most comfortable and effective when worn snugly. This will help
reduce slippage and rubbing.
- Fasten the straps near the bottom first, then work towards the top.
- Re-tighten straps throughout the day to maintain proper snugness.
- Any frayed or torn straps, loose padding or hardware should be repaired
- Do Not Operate Any Motor Vehicle. Spinal braces restrict your vision, mobility and reaction times.
- Return to Orthotists for brace check two (2) weeks after initial fitting. Subsequent
appointments should be made to coincide with your physician appointments.
Click for printable version of this document