PATIENT INSTRUCTION FOR FOOT ORTHOTICS
Your foot orthotics have been custom designed for your needs. They were fitted to your shoes at delivery to obtain maximum function. Proper fit and use are critical for correct function. Generally, orthotics can be interchanged among shoes of similar size and style. Sports orthotics will usually fit most athletic shoes. Orthotics designed for dress shoes will usually work best in similar dress shoes. Initial wear should begin slowly. Do not exceed one hour continued wear for first four days.
We recommend the following schedule:
- Day One: two hours total- one hour at a time
- Day Two: two hours total- one hour at a time
- Day Three: three hours total- one hour at a time
- Day Four: four hours total- one hour at a time
- Days Five: six hours total- two hours at a time
- Days Six: six hours total- two hours at a time
- Day Seven thru Ten: Full time wear as tolerated.
- Remove orthotics every four hours for 15-30minutes.
Assuming no difficulty resume any athletic activity slowly.
If you are unable to attain full-time wear due to discomfort, please contact this office.
Remember, some acclimation period is required. It should not be painful. Should any
shoes present a problem with the use of your orthotics, we may be able to trim the orthotics to fit that particular shoe. Please call if you experience any difficulty, discomfort or have any questions.
Click for printable version of this document